Keeping Your Lymphatic System Healthy!
Keeping Your Lymphatic System Healthy
The lymphatic system is one of our 7 detoxification pathways. The process of detoxification is the elimination of accumulated toxins from the blood and tissues. This is essential for optimal health and healing. The body naturally does this through these 7 organ systems, but with so many harmful factors in our daily lives such as preservatives and chemicals in our food, personal care products, and even the air we breathe, its important to be aware of how we can help these systems work optimally.
The lymphatic system works as the body’s sewage system, filtering harmful organisms and waist through the lymph fluid. It also functions as a major part of the immune system, identifying pathogens and containing immune cells which protect the body against antigens. It also maintains the body’s fluid balance and transports large molecules such as proteins and fats. There are a series or glands, nodes, and ducts, and lymph fluid moves around the body in a way similar to the cardiovascular system, except that it doesn’t have a heart to pump it. Its movement occurs due to movement and peristalsis of smooth muscle and skeletal activity. Exercise and lymphatic drainage massage helps break up the congestion and removes toxins from the body. Toxins then drain through the urine, bowel, sweat, and menstrual blood.
Signs of congested lymph can be headaches, constipation, sinus congestion, puffiness around the neck or face, cellulite, swelling of ankles or fingers, arms ‘puffs’ instead of pits, fatigue, digestive issues, bloating, and slow healing.
The best things you can do for your lymphatic system:
• Move! Go for walks, exercise, skip rope, do jumping jacks and avoid sitting for prolonged periods of time. Constant movement is what gets it moving toxins through.
• Dry brush daily. Dry brushing is an amazing way to move the lymph as it sits just under your skin. Starting at your clavicles, always brushing towards the heart, move down your body with a dry brush before the shower.
• Take care of your digestion & liver health. Take liver support or do castor oil packs over it regularly.
• Get lymphatic drainage massages. Find a specialist in your area and go for regular drainage. This is a great thing to do to get jumpstarted on your lymph health as your practitioner will be able to tell you how congested you are. Most people see and feel results such as less bloating and more energy after just the first session.
• Breath practice, Epsom salt baths, inversions, and vibration platforms are all great things to implement into your health practice as well.
Written by Maddie Battle
Maddie Battle is a Holistic Nutritionist based in Vancouver, BC. Maddie is the owner of Natural Balance Wellness, her private practice where she specializes in women’s health and hormone balance. She can be found on Instagram @balancewithmaddie and www.naturalbalancenutrition.com
Get safe, effective natural products that have been stringently evaluated by experts at Vitarock. Founded by a fellow mom, Alicja is one of Canada’s most respected experts in natural product quality and safety. Every product at Vitarock has been proven safe, pure, green and fair. Come shop with confidence.