Fresh out of Thanksgiving weekend (doesn't it feel like just a hot second ago?) it's time for yet another not-so healthy weekend. Here at Vitarock HQ we fully intend to paricipate in the Halloween festivities by dressing up as various villains and whatnot. However, I won't be spending the work day hoarding mini chocolate bars and never ending packs of Smarties. It all sounds great in theory, but that much sugar will have me flat out in a candy coma, which isn't necessarily encouraged workplace behaviour. SO, in an attempt to reap all the fun of the day, yet remain productive I spent some time loitering around in our product cupboards to location some healthy yet delicious treats. Perhaps not your most typical healthy Halloween Dessert (it's not a batch of orange cookies after all), but I promise your entire office will enjoy on both halloween and any other special day!
Peanut Butter Brownies:
Not your average peanut butter brownies, these are truly as guilt-free as one can get when it comes to a chocolate-y baked good. There's three star players in this recipe. The first being our Natur Crunchy Peanut Butter, which is nutrient-dense, a source of vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin B6, and void of oil, sugar, and salt! Opting out of regular flour, try our Nutiva Organic Coconut Flour, which is has a rich texture, natural sweetness and a lower glycemic index than most traditional flours making it great for baking! And of course, we'd be nowhere without the chocolate, so allow me to introduce you to ChocoSol, a not-so-average bar of chocolate. A personal favorite of mine is their ChocoSol Luscious Coconut, 70% Chocolate Bar, so I'm taking creative liberaty to suggest that option (but you can certainly choose a plain dark if you prefer). This bar is made from 70% chocolate, organic coconut butter and coconut sugar (a low glycemic sweetener). ChocoSol is made in Toronto using organic, forest garden, shade grown cacao, sourced directly from trade relationships with Indigenous communities in the Lacondon Jungle of Chiapas and the Oaxacan mountains of Southern Mexico. LIke I said, not your average chocolate!
- 225g Natur Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 200g ChocoSol Luscious Coconut 70% Chocolate Bar
- 280g Organic Traditions Coconut Palm Sugar
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 100g Nutiva Organic Coconut Flour
- Set aside 50g of the peanut butter and chocolate. Heat oven to 180C. Line a 20cm square backing tin with parchment. Melt remaining peanut butter, chocolate, and sugar in a pan. Stir occasionally until the sugar is nearly melted. Turn off the heat and beat in the eggs individually. Stir in the flour and add into the tin.
- Melt the remaining peanut butter in the microwave for 45 seconds and drizzle over the brownie. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a crust has formed, yet the middle seems slightly uncooked.
- Melt the remianing chocolate and drizzle over the brownie. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.
Do you have any go-to favorite healthy halloween dessserts? We'd love to hear about them!